Child, Teen & Parent Therapist
I have always loved the spontaneity of children and being “in the moment” with them. Their innocent curiosity and wisdom is refreshing and inspiring. In my work as a child and family therapist, I feel privileged to help clients find their inner strength and resiliency to cope with life’s challenges.
I believe that the power to heal comes from within.
I have over 25 years of experience working with children and families as an Educator, Consultant and Child and Family Therapist. I began my career as an Early Childhood Educator in 1984 as a teacher/caregiver and infant development consultant with children who had special needs. As I became more experienced, I discovered that my strength was in supporting children who had emotional and behavioural problems. Using my calm and consistent nature, I was able to reach the painful feelings underneath the behaviour of these children and help them feel understood.
“I have always been impressed by Janice’s quiet, loving gentleness that is coupled with an unceasing, dogged, straight arrow and skilled persistence to reach deep into a child and help her face her feelings”
- J.G. (mother)
In addition to my private therapy practice that I started in 2000, I worked as a Play Therapist, and an Outreach consultant for 13 years for the PACE Child and Family Society, a therapeutic treatment centre for children and families in Vancouver. Since 2001, I have also worked as a Child and Family Therapist through the Vancouver Community Mental Health system with children, teens and parents experiencing mental health issues.
I have a Masters degree in Counselling Psychology from the University of BC and am a Clinical Counsellor Supervisor certified through the Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCC-S). In addition, I completed post-graduate training and engaged in many hours of supervision in order to become a Registered Play Therapist (RPT).
“Janice is very knowledgeable about childhood development and different approaches to helping children. She is patient and compassionate. Her expertise and calm manner have guided us through some difficult times. Our daughter has blossomed in so many ways during her time with Janice. We are truly fortunate to have Janice Ebenstiner in our lives.”
- H & M (parents of a seven year old)
I incorporate play, art and sand tray therapy into my work with young children and at times, with teens, in order to promote a sense of comfort and trust. Using various forms of expression, my words of reflection and understanding can promote healing, communication, and a positive sense of self in the child. Through the therapeutic process of play therapy children are able to express their struggles non-verbally and come to a greater sense of understanding of themselves and a relief from their inner struggles.
“Janice offers great expertise and positivity, skillful creativity, validation and, most importantly, hope and healing.”
- Jody (mother of a 14 year old)
I continue my counselling education today, attending various workshops and training sessions. I have completed training in Attachment-Focused Therapy, Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy and Satir Family Therapy. I have a Level 2 certificate in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), a useful therapeutic method for working with clients who have experienced trauma.
Education, Training, and Credentials
- Master’s degree in Counselling Psychology from the University of BC
- Bachelor’s degree in Psychology from Simon Fraser University
- Early Childhood Education/Special Needs/Infant Toddler Care Certification
- Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Certification (CCC-S) #1355
- Registered Play Therapist (R.P.T.) through the Assn of Play Therapy
- Past Board Member of the B.C. Assn for Play Therapy
- Satir Family Therapy Training through Satir Institute of the Pacific
- Attachment-Focused Therapy training (www.danielhughes.org)
- Listed on Attachment Association of Canada for providing therapy for children with Attachment Disorders
- Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy training
- Level II Certification in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Various workshops/trainings on topics related to play therapy, mental health issues, managing difficult behaviours, trauma and attachment related treatments for children
- Crime Victims Assistance approved treatment provider (Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General, Victim Services Division)
As a child and family therapist, my hope is to guide you and your child to realize your full potentials.
I have over 25 years of experience as an educator, consultant and therapist. I feel confident in my ability to provide you with the support and guidance you require to help your family build more secure and rewarding relationships.
Please call 604-787-7258 or email me for a free consultation.
Sign up to receive “Ten Tips for building secure attachment” and find out how to understand and respond to your child’s needs, create a happier child and improve your relationship.
Janice Ebenstiner is a child, teen and parent therapist in Vancouver, BC. She provides play therapy to children and individual therapy to teens and parents in her counselling office in Vancouver.